Seasonal Hours: (May 1st – Thanksgiving)
Open Tuesday to Friday 10-4:30pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holiday
Off-Season by appointment. 519-762-3072
Adults $5, Student/Children $2
Groups of 6 or more adults $3 each
Some events have gate admission, fees, or ticket pricing.
Audio Tour of the Museum Grounds
Click the speaker icon to download the audio tour of the museum grounds before you visit!
Audio Tour of the Museum Interior
Click the speaker icon to download the audio tour of the museum interior before you visit!
Browse for gifts and keepsakes
1. John Pearce House – 29283 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
John Pearce arrived at the Talbot Settlement in 1809 along with the Backus and Patterson families. His son built this house in 1874 with walls 3 bricks thick made of clay from the farm. The foundation was made from farm stones and mortar. The basement has 5 separate rooms and was often used for baking. There is a fireplace in the basement, as well as 2 on the main level. The house contains 3 staircases which lead to the upstairs, where there are 8 rooms and 2 hallways. This private residence is now owned by the Jewell family.
2. John E. Pearce Provincial Park – 29551 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
John E. Pearce donated 11.7 hectares (22.88 acres) of land to the Province of Ontario in 1955 and the park was officially opened in 1957. In 1965 the Page family sold 100 acres to MNR which, along with additional property purchased adjacent to the original land grant brought the total area of the park to 167.71 acres. It offers a day-use picnic area with a scenic view of Lake Erie . The park incorporates a sample of eroding lake bluffs rising to a height of 30 meters in association with an undisturbed deciduous forest. These features do not occur elsewhere within the provincial park system.
There are also 405 plant species within the park, 15 of which are considered rare in Ontario , and 3 of which have not been recorded elsewhere in Elgin County . The annual hawk migration can be seen in the park with the advent of the autumn season.
3. St. Peter’s Anglican Church – 29596 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
Located on lot 11, concession 10, St. Peter’s is one of the oldest churches in Southwestern Ontario . In use since 1827, it is one of two churches west of the Niagara Falls to have been in use for 175 years. It was erected by the first settlers of Tyrconnell on 10 acres of land donated by Mary Storey. The Patterson, Pearce, Storey, and Backus families each pledged 70 pounds to the project, as well as the labour that went into the church.
Blue and white oak were used lavishly in the frame. A scow and a road were built in order to haul limestone up from Lake Erie to be used for plaster. The church was lathed inside and out. A journey to Buffalo was made in order to procure glass, lead, and oil for making paint and putty. Simon Nichol of St. Thomas was employed to make Gothic sashes and frames for the windows. The spire and belfry were added in 1845 by Edward Matthews, London .
It has come a long way from when the carpenter’s work bench was used as a pulpit. The beauty of St. Peter’s Church was used in a scene of a Hollywood film in 1996.
4. St. Peter’s Anglican Church Cemetery – 29625 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
The cemetery sits on land donated by Mary Storey and her brother, Leslie Patterson. St. Peter’s Cemetery’s first marked burial occurred in 1818 with the death of the 4-year old son of Leslie Patterson. St Peter’s Cemetery was deeded to the bishop of Quebec and registered in 1828. This was the final resting place for many of the settlers (and their descendants) of this area known as “Little Ireland”.
St. Peter’s is also the burial place of Colonel Thomas Talbot, the Crown land agent responsible for settling newcomers on land in 29 different townships. He has been called one of the most “effective settlement promoters” in Ontario ‘s past by numerous historians though his methods were considered controversial.
5. Captain Leslie Patterson Home – 29643 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
Captain Leslie Patterson came with his family to the Talbot Settlement in 1809. “Sunnyside”, as it was called, was built in 1826, and is the oldest house in Dunwich. Captain Patterson and John Pearce had met Colonel Talbot previously in Upper Canada and were given a promise of land.
Leslie Patterson was a Captain in the Middlesex Militia during the War of 1812-14, during which time his farm was heavily looted. Facing the lake, where a road once graces the cliff side (since eroded into the lake), the grandiose house includes a secret compartment for hiding valuables, and two doorways in many downstairs rooms.
The first confirmation services in Elgin County were held in this home. Leslie also ran the first post office in Dunwich out of his house. Leslie’s sons did not want to farm, so daughter Lydia and her husband, Archibald Duncan took up that task. The Littlejohn family purchased the farm in 1914 and the Littlejohn descendants continue to live there today.
6. Stephen Backus Farm – 30022 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
Stephen Backus immigrated to the Talbot Settlement in 1810 to join his sister, Lydia (Backus) Patterson. He married Anne Storey who had come to Dunwich the previous year. Stephen’s log cabin and farm were looted on August 14th, 1814 by American Marauders. He was finally able to purchase his farm in 1817 for 75 pounds. Stephen built the west section of his home (including the front door west) in 1825. Stephen employed Robert Morris to build an addition in 1848. The frame contains chestnut boards two and one-half feet wide. The basement, which was dug out later, has logs which run the entire length of the house. Stephen raised a family of eleven children with his wife here. Owners Jamie and Stacie Littlejohn currently reside in the beautiful home.
7. Meredith Conn Sr. Home – 30256 Lakeview Line, Wallacetown
Meredith Conn Sr. came to Dunwich from Armagh , Ireland when he was 31 years old. Meredith and his wife, Catherine (Humphrey) built a colonial style Georgian home in 1828 for their family of 13 children. It was built on a stone foundation, and featured 2 large 17” x 19” rooms.
Meredith valued education and organized a community work bee and built a schoolhouse on his property in 1835. He also was a grain merchant who used Port Tyrconnell for shipping. Meredith decorated the interior of his home with tulip wood wainscoting and sculptured trim around the windows and doors. The three entrance ways were built 39” wide. The rafters were 6” diameter trees with the bark still on them, and were put together with wooden pegs.
The Meredith Conn house was the first home in the neighbourhood to have hot water by connecting the bath tub to a hot water reservoir on the back of the stove. The home is now lived in by owners, Ben and Johanna Schipper.
8. Dutton Meadows Golf Club – 28411 Thomson Road, Dutton
(519) 762-3435 http://www.duttonmeadows.com/
Established in 1990, the course has the appearance of a more established facility due to the abundance of several mature trees. Representative of “Country Golf” at its best this semi-private course is set in the middle of farm land, surrounded by a vast array of birds, wildlife and nature. The course is suitable for all levels of golfers – a good challenge for the more experienced player, but very “Beginner Friendly.”
Although golf carts are available, the course is easily walked with lots of pretty flower gardens, wooded areas and ponds along the way to keep it interesting and picturesque.
Includes a licensed bar, lounge and patio.
9. E. M. Warwick Conservation Area, West Elgin
The E.M. Warwick Conservation Area is a 14 hectare property acquired in 1974. This Conservation Area was named after the owner who donated the site to the Rotary Club in 1956. The area was operated by the local service club as a youth camp and continues to serve in this capacity as a conservation area.
Located on the north shore of Lake Erie between Wallacetown and Eagle. Follow Talbot Trail east from Eagle, take McKillop Side Road south for 3 km. E. M. Warwick Conservation Area is located to the east off of Warwick Line
10. Southwold Earthworks National Historical Site
7930 Iona Road- contact (519) 322-2365
11. Fingal Wildlife Management, Fingal
The Fingal Wildlife Management Area (sometimes called the Fingal Conservation Area) is located on an old airbase about 3 km west of Fingal off Elgin County Rd. 16, or Fingal Line. In addition, there is a small parking lot off Scotch Line closer to the pond and the rear of the park.
12. Port Glasgow Marina and Beach, Port Glasgow
13. Rodney Ye Olde Jail
135 Queen Street, Rodney
|This website has been donated and Beard Approved by Redding Designs|