Costumed Volunteer Interpreter – Special Skills
Assist staff and other volunteers with the interpretation and animation of different period correct activities that are appropriate for the living history site and time period of either 1812 or the 1850â€™s.
- Meet with the Cultural Manager to discuss period correct activities.
- Prepare an outline of the period correct activities.
- Identify any necessary materials or supplies if the project will become the property of Tyrconnell Heritage Society.
- Provide a tentative schedule for the activities.
- Lead, demonstrate and interpret the activities.
- Assist with the set up and clean up of the activities.
- Dress in and maintain an historic reproduction costume.
- Work as a team member with staff and volunteers.
- Volunteers must be willing to accept direction from programming staff.
- Interpreting will be limited to the approved activities.
- Volunteers are required to direct visitorâ€™s questions to a staff member when unsure of the correct response.
- Projects and materials supplied by Tyrconnell Heritage Society and Backus-Page House Museum will become the property of the site and must be stored on site.
- Specialized knowledge of the appropriate activities i.e., music, hand work, sewing, quilting, knitting, historical food preparation, small wood crafts etc.
- Positive attitude and excellent communication skills.
- Enjoy working with staff, volunteers and the public.
- Self directed and willing to work with minimum supervision.
Time Frame:Backus-Page House Museum is open May 1 through Thanksgiving Monday.
Tuesday â€“ Friday 10amâ€”4:30pm. Saturday, Sunday, and Holiday Mondays noon-4:30pm.
Some events in the off season may also require costumed interpreters.
Training & Supervision:
- Orientation for volunteers will be held periodically throughout the year.
- Specialized training sessions will be offered.
- Informal feedback on volunteer activities will be provided on a regular basis by staff.
- Formal performance evaluations will be conducted in August upon request.
Staff Contact: Some events in the off season may also require costumed interpreters.
- Unique opportunity to learn about the regionâ€™s history and heritage.
- Free admission to the Backus-Page House Museum.
- Invitations to volunteer appreciation events.
- Use of the museumâ€™s library.