West Elgin Genealogical & Historical Committee
Formerly the West Elgin Genealogical & Historical Society, merged with Tyrconnell Heritage Society in January, 2020. Research, collect and publish historic and genealogical information about the Municipalities of West Elgin and Dutton Dunwich (historic Aldborough and Dunwich Townships).
- Wilingness to learn.
- Conduct research based on current projects.
- Assist visitors with their research.
- Digitize an catalogue archival documents and photographs.
- Work as a team member with staff and volunteers.
- Write articles for publications.
- Promote the museum and the committee.
- Volunteers must be willing to accept direction from staff and committee chairperson.
- Volunteers are required to direct visitor's questions to a staff member or long time committee member when unsure of the correct response.
- Willingness to read and learn new information and skills.
- Positive attitude and excellent communication skills.
- Enjoy working with staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to present to small groups of people.
- Self directed and willing to work with minimum supervision.
Time Frame:Committee meets monthly and may schedule days to work on site. Many tasks can be done from home on your own schedule.
Training & Supervision:
- Orientation for volunteers will be held periodically throughout the year.
- Informal feedback on volunteer activities will be provided on a regular basis by staff.
- Formal performance evaluations will be conducted in August upon request.
Staff Contact: Angela Bobier, Cultural Manager
- Unique opportunity to learn about the region's history and heritage.
- Invitations to volunteer appreciation events.
- Use of the museum's library.